Services / Building Defect Surveys
Residential and Commercial Building Defect Reports
An AFA Building Defects Report can provide advice on specific building elements (roof, walls or floors) or on a particular defect, such as subsidence, damp or timber defects. The report can also be tailored to address specific concerns or to provide the overall condition of a building.
AFA will identify defects and comment on their significance as well as assess the potential of any future problems. We will also provide recommendations for remedial or preventative works and where the extent of a defect cannot be determined or seen without more intrusive methods, our report may suggest that further investigation works or exploratory works are required. Where our investigations show remedial works are required we are also able to prepare a specification of works and arrange for the repairs to be undertaken by an Approved Contractor.
Some Common Defects
- Cavity Wall Tie Corrosion: The British Research Establishment estimate that over 2 million dwellings in the UK are affected by cavity wall tie corrosion. In extreme cases, where it has been left unchecked, it can cause the collapse of entire walls.
- Structural movement: This covers settlement and subsidence of properties with the causes being many and varied.
- Dry Rot: The fungus is often concealed behind panelling or flooring. It can spread at a rate of 1.5 metres per year and can destroy the internal fabric and structure of a property within a few years if left unchecked.
- Wet Rot: This type of rot tends to occur outside the property, in particular to doors, doorframes, window frames and eaves joinery, which are constantly exposed to the elements. However, if the damp proof course has failed or an element is allowing moisture penetration it can also occur inside as well.
- Rising damp: This is the movement of water through the structure of your house by capillary attraction. The surface tension of the water will pull itself up through the wall unless it is physically stopped. It can occur where the damp proof course or damp proof membrane has failed or is non-existent.
- Woodworm: This building defect is caused by the larva of a wood-boring beetle eating its way through timber. If left unchecked it can destroy timbers yet it can be quite easy to treat if you know of its presence.
- Asbestos: This has been used in construction for over 75 years. It was common in most house types and was incorporated into many things from boiler houses and ceilings to balconies and walkways. Asbestos cement products include sheeting on walls and roofs, roof and floor tiles, cold water tanks, gutters, pipes and in decorative plaster finishes, to name just a few.
- Radon gas: This is a colourless, odourless, radioactive gas which comes from the earth's crust and may enter a home through cracks in the foundation or drains in the floor. In sufficient concentrations Radon gas can cause health problems.
- Lead pipes: In older properties lead pipe work can be unseen in the wall cavities. It needs to be identified as it can cause lead poisoning and can be expensive to remove.
If you have a property that requires a Defect Survey, please call AFA for a free, no obligation quote.